New Books!!

“I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me – shapes and ideas so near to me – so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn’t occurred to me to put them down. I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught.” -Georgia O’Keeffe

In my last few paintings, I am continuing to try and find a way to tell my story exactly as it should be told – visually.  It would be so much easier for me to use words to describe what these paintings mean to me. And painting an emotion – for me – takes learning a new language. I want to become a storyteller who uses paint. I mentioned in a couple of previous posts about a class in Ellijay. It’s an open studio concept. Everyone is working in their own mediums and on their own projects. I learned that the instructor is a good colored pencil teacher and there are other students in the class learning more about using them.

I want to get better at drawing. It’s hard for me to sit still – on my own – and draw, so I am hoping with guided instruction and lessons, I will do the work necessary to get better at drawing. I know it’s a learnable skill. I also know my painting vocabulary will get stronger with gaining better drawing skills.

So I bought a new sketchbook. The first thing I want to do when I get a new sketchbook is paint the cover. That drab brown or black cover just isn’t any fun. Here’s my newest. It’s a 9×12 Strathmore with 140 lb watercolor paper. In addition to using colored pencils, I also plan on highlighting some of my drawings with my water color pencils.

IMG_2222

The book I will be working from is one I learned about from Lynne Hoppe, Botanical Drawing In Color. I’ve already started the book and I’m looking forward to learning more.

IMG_2224

My other two books are oldies but goodies. The first is a new and improved edition of Square Foot Gardening. Mel Bartholomew developed this concept in the 70’s. We want to use raised beds in our garden and I bought this to use as a resource.

IMG_2223

And my other new book has also been around for awhile – Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day. This book originally came out about five years ago. I haven’t bought bread at the grocery since Christmas. I found the master recipe online. What I love about it, is there is no oil or sugar. I have been adding a 7-grain cereal into my mix, so it has a wonderful crunchy texture and a beautiful crust. I make mine in a dutch oven so there’s no need to add a pan of water to the oven while you are cooking. You just put the dutch oven (lid too) in during preheating and then put the dough in the hot pan, add the lid and cook covered for about 20 minutes. Then take the lid off and continue to cook for 20 more minutes. It’s good and very easy to make. The master recipe is enough to make a few loaves. You just keep the dough in the refrigerator and pull it out to rise when you want to make a loaf.

IMG_2225

If you want the recipe, email me. I know this recipe is easy to find on the internet, but I want to respect the authors and not make it part of this blog.

“Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom. How do they learn it? They fall – and falling, they’re given wings.” -Rumi

m4s0n501

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to New Books!!

1. that sketchbook painting is cute! it looks like the birdhouse is doing a little dance with the bird! :)
    That bread book looks very yummy! I’ve made bread twice and I think it’s so much tastier than store bought bread. No excessive amounts of sugar or random corn syrup additives. I may have to check this out!

Hi Rayna – thanks – that was a fun painting to do. If you want me to send you the recipe, I will. It’s easy. The same folks now have a ‘healthy’ artisan bread cookbook out. Even though cooking it in the dutch oven makes a round loaf – it’s still good for toast and sandwiches.
      xxoo

2. lynne says:

good heaven’s judy! i sure love the painting on the cover!!

i’ve used my watercolor pencils too in following the instructions in the botanical illustration book. on rougher paper i like to lay down a pale layer first so the white paper doesn’t show through. one thing i’ve learned is that i don’t like blending/mashing colored pencils into oblivion. i just can’t bring myself to do it. : )

color on… : )

xoxo

Thanks Lynne – I feel the same way about blending colored pencils – which is why I think I will use my finger or a little water at times. :-) And thanks for the tip about laying down a wash — great idea!
      xxoo

3. OK…this bird painting you did is Perfect. Perfect! I did not realize until this morning (I saw it first on Tumblr) that it was the cover of your journal.

I am thinking the Artisan Bread book looks pretty scrumptious. I have a friend coming over tomorrow and I promised her muffins…I bet there’s a good recipe or two in that book.

Have a great day Judy…can’t wait to see what you draw in your Strathmore.

Hi Lisa – I love doing quick sketches which is what this bird/birdhouse drawing is. I should do more. They are fun and whimsical. I need to quit over thinking things lol. Hopefully my drawing class will give me more confidence!

The artisan bread book is wonderful – but in the meantime – here’s a link to some delicious bakery goodies:

xxoo

Judy, Wonderful journal cover. I love drawing, it is my first love and something you can do when you have limited time. I prefer drawing with graphite or pen, but water colored pencils are fun too. You are tempting me to draw some flowers :-).
    That bread looks yummy.
    Have fun in class.
    xoxo

I think I’m a ‘victim’ of folks telling me I couldn’t draw when I was young. Now I know it’s a learnable skill. I think a class will help me stay focused and sit still long enough to practice and learn. I long to draw – –
      This bread is yummy!
      xxoo

5. Gay says:

Judy, I just returned from a wonderful trip to Madrid, Spain. Unaccountably, I did lots of great reading while there–busy in the days but we passed on the night scene. Two great books on philosophy which make me want to do more such readining: “How to Live OR a life of Montaigne” by Sarah Bakefield (beautifully written) and “The Swerve” by Stephen Greenblatt (he meanders a bit too much). Don’t know how you might relate to those but am certain you would really enjoy “The End Of Your Life Book Club” by Will Schwalbe.
    Love what you are doing with your art!

How wonderful to have travelled to Spain! I’ll bet Madrid was magical. Thank you for the book titles. I will definitely check them out. I’m always looking for good books.
      xx

6. Robyn says:

I like the bird house with a doorway …..leading one into the journal. The perfect journal cover!

7. I can think of only a few things I enjoy more than new books, but one of them is art, and another is bread! Your journal cover is adorable. I hope you have many happy hours drawing in it. :) I can’t find your e-mail address, but I’d be interested in that bread recipe you mentioned.

Happy weekend to you!
    xo

Angela – thanks – yes, my favorite things too – art, books, bread -oh- and chocolate! I’ve emailed you the recipe – and now you’ll have my email address. Let me know if you need more info on the recipe.
      xxoo

• Thanks for the recipe! And yes – chocolate – how could I have forgotten to mention that?! If I had been thinking clearly, I would have listed that first. :)
        xo