30 Day Challenge Collage

“Imagination is the key to my lyrics. The rest is painted with a little science fiction.” -Jimi Hendrix

PicMonkey Collage

Well I did it. I painted a unique and different painting every day for 30 days and I blogged about it daily.

I found the most difficult aspect of this challenge was deciding what to paint. I already paint everyday. I just don’t finish a painting daily. What I learned about myself in this challenge is I work better moving at my own pace. I did try new things – color combinations, texture tricks, using my acrylics in a more fluid way — and all of these ideas will eventually show up in my future work. Some of these small paintings will be reworked into larger pieces and some of the small paintings have already been framed and sent to new homes.

I do know that I love to paint and will continue to paint daily, but I didn’t enjoy the pressure of having to finish a painting each day. The quote below sums up how my imagination works best.

“I want to live simply. I want to sit by the window when it rains and read books I’ll never be tested on. I want to paint because I want to, not because I’ve got something to prove. I want to listen to my body, fall asleep when the moon is high and wake up slowly, with no place to rush off to. I want not to be governed by money or clocks or any of the artificial restraints that humanity imposes on itself. I just want to be, boundless and infinite.” -anonymous

m4s0n501

This entry was posted in folk art. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 30 Day Challenge Collage

1. Robyn says:

You did it! Well done Judy, that’s quite an achievement. “Imagination is the key” … indeed and you have certainly used yours. I think I would have found it quite daunting. I have done a 30 day challenge but I worked on one carving over 30 days, rather than trying to come up with a new idea every day.

YAY! Yippee! I did it. I feel like I should go on vacation or something now, lol. I do love painting every day — but coming up with something different each day was difficult. I probably wouldn’t do the challenge again. It definitely showed me how I like to work though – slowly on one painting at a time.

2. Lisa Graham says:

Oh Judy!!!! Seeing all these together makes me feel so excited for you! I cannot imagine the freedom you must be feeling right now and I am guessing the HUGE motivation to dig in and make those larger paintings from the challenge ones like you said. Congratulations! You did it! And your art looks amazing. It has been a joy to see your posts!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last quote. YES!!!!!

xo

Thank you Lisa – yes FREE! I’ve taken a couple of days off from my studio and now just beginning to sketch out something I want to work on. I was so concerned that folks were going to be so sick of all my posting. Whew – back to blogging weekly and slowly working on larger pieces. Breathe . . .
      xxoo

3. JJ Jacobs says:

Beautifully done, Judy — congratulations on finishing the 30 day Challenge!

4. Susan says:

YAY! You did it! We did it!!! YAY again.

No paintings to HAVE TO finish today, unless we want to. Oh, this day feels delicious already. Big smiley face here. xoxo

YAY! YAY for us! We did do it! YAY!

I am working a larger piece today — slowly thinking about it. And yes, today is feeling pretty darn delicious!
      xxoo

Judy, I love that quote and it is how I try to live, at least on the 4 days I don’t have to work.
    Congrats on finishing the challenge and all your sweet small paintings. I already know I would not be happy with that pressure :-). xoxo

6. Katie says:

Oh, I love that quote, Judy. Congratulations on finishing the challenge!!

7. charlene says:

Congratulations, Judy. And also Thank You. It was inspiring to see and read about your daily experiences painting. Seeing them all together creates a wonderful mosiac, too. Although I live the last quote I especially love the Hendrix quote. I get science fiction :) Happy New Year!

Charlene – thanks. Seeing them all together made me realize I painted a lot this month! I still think I rather enjoy painting with less pressure though, I learned things about myself and my materials I wouldn’t have learned had I not done the challenge. I love that Hendrix quote – science fiction! Happy Year of the Horse to you too Charlene!

8. Sally Dean says:

Wonderful collection of works ! Bravo!

9. Sheila says:

Congratulations to you Judy! I just love your your work! Best to you!

10. Karin Naylor says:

Hi Judy,

I’ve been visiting art blogs all day and now it’s evening and my son is sitting next to me, and I shared the quote you have here with him, and he’s putting it on instagram, while I write to you. Love the quote, so did he. :) Love your paintings…I’m enjoying having the time to go around and just enjoy everyone’s work. Love your style.

Hi Karin – so happy you stopped by and love that your son enjoyed that quote. It’s one of my favorites. I enjoyed the 30 day challenge and also looking at everyones work too. Hope you’ll come back.

11. Pattie Wall says:

Your work is refreshingly different – I like the way you showcased them in your collage – the format is interesting and creative – I really enjoyed looking at so many different ideas and works this go round! Paint on!

Comments are closed.