I Love My Gallery and Other News

“Making art is a lot about just seeing what happens if you put some energy into something.” -Kiki Smith

Sold during the month of May — YAY!

Why is it so important for an artist to sell their work? Is it the money? Artists tend to create whether or not their work ever sells. For most artists, money just buys more art supplies. So, why is a sale so important? We all have a deep desire to be heard and understood. I’m not just putting paint on a canvas. The essence of who I am ends up in my work. So when I hear that a painting has sold, there comes a deep sense of satisfaction – someone listened and understood my story.

I know art is expensive and not everyone can afford to buy. But if you can, invest in an artist and artwork. You’ll be doing something amazing in the life of that artist, not only will the artist know you were listening, you will be inspiring that artist to continue working.

In other news, I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’ve changed the look of my blog. It’s still a work in progress. I didn’t want to change it, but WordPress updated their platform and the ‘theme’ I was using was no longer compatible. Change is good, right?

“A great painting or symphony or play doesn’t diminish us, but enlarges us, and we too, want to make our own cry of affirmation to the power of creating behind the universe. This surge of creativity has nothing to do with competition or degree of talent. When I hear a superb pianist, I can’t wait to get to my own piano and I play about as well now as I did when I was ten. A great novel, rather than discouraging me simply makes me want to write. This response on the part of any artist is the need to make incarnate the new awareness we have been granted through the genius of someone else.” -Madeleine L’Engle

m4s0n501

This entry was posted in acrylics, blog, folk art, galleries. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to I Love My Gallery and Other News

1. So happy for you that your paintings are selling! And no wonder, they are lovely. And so many! It does feel great and is a good motivator.
    Do you think it is harder to sell paintings than ceramics? you are doing great!

Thank you Cathy. I certainly would have needed to sell a lot of mugs to make up for one of my painting sales. I did ok selling my pottery, but sadly functional pottery is not valued.
      I am enjoying painting. I recently had my kiln wired in and still haven’t gotten the clay out. I sold my wheel a few years ago, but still have my slab roller.

Judy, congrats! Speaking as one who rarely sells it is always wonderful when it happens.
    I do have a sale of a new painting pending, I feel that things are getting ready to turn around, but if I never sell another piece it means nothing, I will always create, it is almost like breathing for me. It is nice to be appreciated though ;-). xoxo

YAY – a sale pending. That’s great news. I hope things are turning around for you. Your artwork is amazing. And yes, it is nice to be appreciated.

3. Judy, I think it’s wonderful you sold so many pieces of your amazing work in one month’s time. I am NOT surprised at all because they really are special. I love They Thought They Could Sing. That probably doesn’t surprise you. :)

What you wrote here about selling hit the nail on the head for sure. Here’s to more sales and being heard and understood.

xoxo

Hi Lisa – thank you. Cheryl, my gallery owner, is the best. She’s really supported me and encouraged sales! I am so happy I found her.
      A little back story 0n ‘They Thought They Could Sing’ – I can not sing – not at all. So I have always dreamed of having a group of back-up singers living at my house – you know – just so I could hear those beautiful voices whenever I needed a little joy in my life :-)

4. I forgot to say, your new blog look is great!

5. charlene says:

Your new layout looks very very nice. Congrats on the sales. Your paintings do have depth and an inviting narrative. Art is a language—when the work is completed it has finished its talk with you now it needs to talk to someone else. (Pls excuse errors of grammar, typos and silliness as I am using my nook :-)

I have wanted to update my blog for quite a while – but kept putting it off to be in my studio!
      It’s taken me quite a while to think of painting as narrative – but I finally get it. And you know I’m usually tired of talking to those paintings of mine and happy to see them carry-on their conversations else where!

6. Congratulations on selling your paintings! “… someone listened and understood my story” hits the nail right on the head – that is exactly what it’s about. Just knowing someone loved it enough to pay for it… means a lot.

Comments are closed.