Out Walking With My Baby

“There is no doubt that solitude is a challenge and to maintain balance within it a precarious business. But I must not forget that, for me, being with people or even with one beloved person for any length of time without solitude is even worse. I lose my center. I feel dispersed, scattered, in pieces. I must have time alone in which to mull over my encounter and to extract its juice, its essence, to understand what has really happened to me as a consequence of it.” -May Sarton

Out Walking With My Baby acrylics, charcoal 14x14 birch panel

Out Walking With My Baby
acrylics, charcoal
14×14 birch panel

This painting felt like it burst from me. That’s what happens when I don’t spend daily time drawing or painting. I’m not sure what it’s about. I’ll have to spend some time with it.

I have had a house full of company this past week – six extra folks – loved ones we don’t get to see very often. Even though I enjoyed their visit, I am used to having some time alone every day. I usually spend that time in my garden, in my studio, reading or doing yoga. I am not used to cooking and talking so much.  Thankfully my guests, my son and my husband all left on the same morning. I almost feel guilty because I have relished my time alone the last couple of days. It has allowed me to re-fill the well. Bob returns today. Luke comes in for a quick visit on his way to a percussion retreat. Bob and I will spend a quiet weekend immersing ourselves at home doing the things we love to do. Life is good.

The painting below sold! YAY –

Barnyard Talk - sold

Barnyard Talk – sold

And I did get invited to do a show in Macon, GA at the Gallery at the Macon Arts Alliance in August. I will give more details as they become available. 6 pieces will be going. Another – ‘YAY.’

“Artists are people driven by the tension between the desire to communicate and the desire to hide.” -D.W. Winnicott

This entry was posted in folk art. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Out Walking With My Baby

1. lynne says:

judy, ‘out walking with my baby’ is WOW! i *love* everything about it…

and i love the quote. i don’t think may said one thing that i didn’t agree with heart and soul…

xoxo

2. Robyn says:

Out walking with my baby is delightful!! I know and relish the feeling of contentment when art flows easily during quiet time …. especially after a busy week. Congrats on your sale and the invitation. A good excuse to get back to work.

Thank you Robyn. Isn’t it great when you have some free time and something actually happens on the easel? Seems I usually get my best ideas when I’m far away from my studio – and then forget by the time I get my paints out again.

Yes sales and an opportunity to show my work in a new venue is exciting and inspiring.

3. smartcat says:

Cool paintings! Congratulations on the sale and the show!
    At Sixty was the first May Sarton book I read; it gave me a blueprint for getting older. Thanks for the reminder.

Judy, Love the quotes, I totally agree. Love that dog :-). Congrats on the sale and show.
    xoxo

5. Mansuetude says:

Also love the painting. Wonderful titles.
    Solitude is like breathing. Gotta do it or else.

On your garden post below … I loved it all. The respect i have for you doing that in GA humidity. Huge. Happy eating.

Hello Mansuetude! Thanks and I agree with you about solitude – so important.

I guess I’m just used to this heat and humidity. It’s not quite as bad in the mountains as elsewhere – most days. I am aggravated by all the garden pests though -)

Food fresh from the garden is the best!

6. Your new painting makes me smile! I know what you mean, I need solitude too, especially after a lot of company, (no matter how much I love them) or a weekend of workshops. My alone time in the garden or studio is my nourishment. Happy Summer to you, Judy.
    roxanne

7. Fabulous painting that sold.
    And so wonderful about the show; I’m going to follow the links.

May Sarton reminds me of my mom who loved to read her.
    And she really hit the mark with her words about filling the well with solitude.

Hi Julie — Thank you. I’m excited about the upcoming show. I’m familiar with the gallery because of doing the Fired Works show with my pottery, so to reconnect with my paintings is great. I enjoy May Sarton’s books. I’m just starting a new one ‘Plant Dreaming Deep.’

Comments are closed.